Did you know that a tummy tuck can offer medical benefits, in addition to cosmetic ones? A tummy tuck tightens abdominal muscles, removes excess skin, significantly reduces unwanted fat, and restores a flatter appearance to the abdominal area, but that isn’t all this procedure can do. Discover the many medical benefits of tummy tuck surgery, also called abdominoplasty, in Charlotte and Huntersville, NC.
Tummy Tuck Basics
What is a tummy tuck? What’s recovery like after surgery? If you’re thinking about this popular cosmetic procedure, you likely have questions. Learn more about tummy tuck surgery on our website or call our offices to schedule your consultation with Dr. Hunstad, Dr. Kortesis, or Dr. Bharti, our board-certified plastic surgeons. We offer several different abdominal surgeries including a drainless tummy tuck, drain-free abdominoplasty with TissuGlu, and revision surgery.
To help you get more familiar with the procedure, here is some necessary information about abdominoplasty.
- A tummy tuck is a cosmetic surgical procedure that shapes and reforms the abdominal area.
- It is popular with both men and women.
- Abdominoplasty addresses common abdominal complaints including loose skin, stretched out, separated, or damaged abdominal muscles, excess fat, and more.
- Abdominoplasty is often included in a mommy makeover or post-bariatric surgery.
- During your surgery, a long incision will be created, extending from one hip to the other. During the procedure we tighten the paired abdominal muscles, using internal sutures to add strength. Excess skin and fat are removed, and the incisions are carefully closed.
- Full recovery after a tummy tuck takes about six weeks. Most patients miss 1-2 weeks of work.
- Common symptoms during recovery include discomfort, bruising, swelling, and tenderness. Pain medications are often used to increase comfort.
Is an abdominoplasty right for you? Come into our offices for a consultation to learn more about your options.
The Cosmetic Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
A desire for cosmetic changes brings many first-time patients to our offices to learn more about cosmetic abdominal surgery. These women miss wearing a bikini or are embarrassed by their sagging stomachs after pregnancy or childbirth. Male patients may come in because they are frustrated that after months of diligent effort at the gym, they still don’t have a flat stomach. A tummy tuck offers many cosmetic benefits including:
- Removes loose abdominal skin.
- Tightens abdominal muscles for a flatter tummy.
- Removes some stretch marks, primarily those located below the belly button prior to surgery.
- Reduces the amount of excess fat in the abdominal area.
- Restores a flatter, tighter core.
- Clothing fits better.
After a tummy tuck, patients report feeling more confident in their body appearance. Cosmetic results from abdominoplasty are long lasting if you avoid pregnancy and stay at a consistent weight.
The Medical Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
Look better and feel better too! A tummy offers some surprising medical benefits including:
- Reduction of Urinary Incontinence- Some women develop a condition known as Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI) after childbirth. This is a common problem, usually seen in women that have had one or more pregnancies. SUI causes uncontrollable bladder leakage that occurs during coughing, sneezing, exercising, etc. SUI is often treated without surgery, but a tummy tuck can reduce the symptoms significantly. To treat SUI during your abdominal surgery, a small bladder obstruction is created using soft tissue. This obstruction reduces incontinence.
- Improved Abdominal Tone- Pregnancy and extreme weight gain can stretch out and weaken the abdominal muscles. A tummy tuck tightens these muscles, strengthening the entire core. Many patients find that core exercises are easier after surgery, once they’ve healed of course.
- Better Posture- Stronger abdominal muscles make it easier to support the body with better posture. Posture often improves significantly after surgery.
- Reduction of Back Pain- Poor posture can lead to back pain and discomfort. By strengthening the abdominal muscles, patients often report a reduction in back pain.
- Hernia Correction- A ventral hernia occurs when the intestines push through the abdominal wall. Weak abdominal muscles make it more likely for this to occur. Some doctors recommend abdominoplasty as part of hernia correction surgery to strengthen the abdominal wall and reduce the likelihood of a hernia reoccurrence.
- Fat Loss- Abdominoplasty provides significant fat loss. Up to 10 pounds of fat is removed during a standard procedure.
Are you thinking about a tummy tuck? With so many benefits, both medical and aesthetic, this procedure appeals to many of our patients. Call our offices at 704-659-9000 to learn more about tummy tuck surgery or to schedule a consultation.