Hunstad Kortesis Bharti Cosmetic Surgery
Notice of Privacy Practices
HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices
This Notice of Privacy Practices describes: how we may use and disclose your Protected Health Information to carry out treatment, payment or health care operations and for other purposes that are permitted or required by law; and your rights to access and control your Protected Health Information. “Protected health information” (“PHI”) is information about you, including demographic information, that may identify you and that relates to your past, present or future physical or mental health or condition and related health care services.
We are committed to protect the privacy of your personal health information (PHI).
This Notice of Privacy Practices (Notice) describes how we may use within our practice or network and disclose (share outside of our practice or network) your PHI to carry out treatment, payment or health care operations. We may also share your information for other purposes that are permitted or required by law. This Notice also describes your rights to access and control your PHI.
We are required by law to maintain the privacy of your PHI. We will follow the terms outlined in this Notice.
We reserve the right to change the terms of this notice and will inform you by posting the new notice in our office and on our website: hkbsurgery.com. Upon your request, we will provide you with any revised Notice by mail. You then have the right to object or withdraw as provided in this notice.
Uses and Disclosures of Protected Health Information
Your PHI may be used and disclosed by your physician, our office staff and others outside of our office that are involved in your care and treatment for the purpose of providing health care services to you, to pay your health care bills, to support the operation of the physician’s practice, and any other use required by law.
We will use and disclose your PHI to provide, coordinate, or manage your health care and any related services. This includes the coordination or management of your health care with a third party. For example, your PHI may be provided to a physician to whom you have been referred to ensure that the physician has the necessary information to diagnose or treat you.
Your PHI will be used, as needed, to obtain payment for your health care services. For example, your health plan may require that your relevant PHI be disclosed to the health plan to obtain approval for treatment.
We may use or disclose, as needed, your PHI in order to support the business activities of your physician’s practice. These activities include, but are not limited to, quality assessment activities, employee review activities, licensing, and conducting or arranging for other business activities. In addition, we may use a sign-in sheet at the registration desk were you will be asked to sign your name and indicate your physician. We may also call you by name in the waiting room when your physician is ready to see you. We may use or disclose your PHI, as necessary, to contact you to remind you of your appointment.
We may use or disclose your PHI in the following situations without your authorization. These situations include: as Required By Law, Public Health issues as required by law, Communicable Diseases; Health Oversight; Abuse or Neglect; Food and Drug Administration requirements; Legal Proceedings; Law Enforcement; Coroners, Funeral Directors, and Organ Donation; Research; Criminal Activity; Military Activity and National Security; Workers’ Compensation; Inmates; Required Uses and Disclosures; Under the law, we must make disclosures to you and when required by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services to investigate or determine our compliance with the requirements of Section 164.500
Other Permitted and Required Uses and Disclosures
Other uses and disclosures will be made only with your consent, authorization or opportunity to object unless required by law. You may revoke this authorization, at any time, in writing, except to the extent that your physician or the physician’s practice has taken an action in reliance on the use or disclosure indicated in the authorization.
Your Rights with Respect to Your PHI
- You have the right to request a restriction of your PHI. Under federal law, however, you may not inspect or copy the following records: psychotherapy notes, information compiled in reasonable anticipation of, or use in, a civil, criminal, or administrative action or proceeding, and PHI that is subject to law that prohibits access to PHI. Your physician is not required to agree to a restriction that you may request. If your physician believes it is in your best interest to permit use and disclosure of your PHI, your PHI will not be restricted. You then have the right to use another Healthcare Professional.
- You have the right to request to receive confidential communications from us by alternative means or at an alternative location. You have the right to obtain a paper copy of this notice from us, upon request, even if you have agreed to accept this notice alternatively, i.e. electronically.
- You have the right to have your physician amend your PHI. If we deny your request for amendment, you have the right to file a statement of disagreement with us and we may prepare a rebuttal to your statement and will provide you with a copy of any such rebuttal.
- You have the right to receive an accounting of certain disclosures we have made, if any, of your PHI.
All requests to exercise your rights must be made in writing. Requests can be mailed to:
Hunstad Kortesis Bharti Cosmetic Surgery
11208 Statesville Rd STE 300
Huntersville, NC 28078
You may complain to us or to the Secretary of Health and Human Services if you believe your privacy rights have been violated by us. You may file a complaint with us by notifying our privacy contact of your complaint. We will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint.
Privacy Practices Acknowledgement
This sheet is a supplement to the materials provided. Please refer to these handouts for more complete information. I understand that, under the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), I have certain rights to privacy regarding my protected health information. I understand that this information can and will be used to:
- Conduct, plan, and direct my treatment and follow-up among the multiple healthcare providers who may be involved in that treatment directly and indirectly.
- Obtain payment from third-party payers.
- Conduct normal healthcare operations such as quality assessments and physician certifications.
I have been informed by you of your Notice of Privacy Practices containing a more complete description of the uses and disclosures of my health information. I have been given the right to review such Notice of Privacy Practices prior to signing the consent. I understand that this organization has the right to change its Notice of Privacy Practices and that I may contact this organization at any time at the address above to obtain a current copy of the Notice of Privacy Practices.
I understand that I may request in writing that you restrict how my private information is used or disclosed to carry out treatment, payment, or health care operations. I also understand you are not required to agree to my requested restrictions, but if you do agree then you are bound to abide by such restrictions.
I understand that I may revoke this consent in writing at any time, except to the extent that you have taken action relying on this content.