Transformations are our specialty at Hunstad, Kortesis, and Bharti. We’ve helped countless men and women throughout the Charlotte, NC area to look younger and feel more confident through plastic surgery. A growing number of our patients are men, a trend that we are thrilled to see. Plastic surgery can benefit both genders, and we are so excited to share the benefits of rejuvenation with more male patients. Read on to learn more about the most popular types of plastic surgery for men.
Types of Plastic Surgery for Men – The Numbers
Men accounted for only 8% of all cosmetic procedures in the U.S. in 2017. This number sounds small, but that 8% equates to approximately 1.3 million total procedures. This is a 29% increase in number from 2000. Each year, the number of men seeking cosmetic surgery increases, a trend that is expected to continue.
Non-surgical procedures, including Botox, chemical peels, and laser hair removal are especially popular with male patients. More than 450,000 men received botulinum toxin treatments in 2017 in the U.S. and more than 180,000 men received a chemical peel treatment. The number of minimally invasive treatments sought by men has increased by 76% since 2000.
We’re seeing similar trends here at our Charlotte, NC plastic surgery office. Our surgeons and the aestheticians at our medical spa are seeing many more male patients at our Charlotte and Huntersville locations who are interested in the popular non-surgical and other types of plastic surgery for men.
Popular Types of Plastic Surgery for Men
The most popular cosmetic treatments for women are not the most popular types of plastic surgery for men. Our female patients often request breast augmentation, liposuction, or a tummy tuck. Some of the most popular procedures for our male patients include:
- Hair Restoration– Male hair loss is a common problem and can be difficult to effectively treat. We are excited to offer NeoGraft hair restoration. This treatment effectively treats male pattern baldness using follicular unit extraction (FUE) through the NeoGraft Automated Hair Transplantation Device. NeoGraft hair restoration reduces downtime and activity restrictions, while providing a natural looking result. It is the least invasive hair transportation procedure available and requires no stitches or staples. Our own Dr. Hunstad has received hair transplantation using this method and speaks very highly of the procedure and his results. Come in and see them for yourself!
- Blepharoplasty– Sagging eyelids are a common problem for men. Blepharoplasty, or an eyelid lift, removes loose skin from the upper and/or lower eyelids. A skillfully performed eyelid lift can rejuvenate the entire face, even though we only operate around the eyes. Blepharoplasty can correct drooping upper eyelids, bags under the eyes, and fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes. Eyelid lift surgery was the second most popular cosmetic surgical procedure for men in 2016.
- Abdominal Etching with Liposuction: After spending hours in the gym it can be rather discouraging to look in the mirror and not see those washboard abs you’ve been wanting. Plain and simple, washboard abs aren’t something everyone can achieve on their own, but with a little help they are possible. Liposuction paired with abdominal etching, or stomach liposuction, can give you the results you deserve from your hard work at the gym. Start to finish liposuction with abdominal etching takes about 2 hours.
- Calf/Pectoral Augmentation- Achieving ideal muscle development can be difficult, both to achieve and maintain. Calf augmentation and pectoralis augmentation can enhance your efforts, creating a more athletic shape with less time at the gym.
- Rhinoplasty– Rhinoplasty is popular with both men and women and tops the list as the most frequently performed surgical cosmetic treatment for men in the U.S. Our surgeons are highly skilled, and use advanced rhinoplasty techniques like cartilage removal, bone manipulation, and tip reshaping. A deep understanding of facial anatomy ensures attractive and masculine results for our male patients.
- Male Breast Reduction– Gynecomastia is a common condition that will affect a majority of men at some point during their lifetime. It occurs when excess breast tissue develops in a man. Although completely harmless physically, this condition can cause a great deal of embarrassment and discomfort. Luckily, gynecomastia is highly treatable. Here at Hunstad Kortesis Bharti Plastic Surgery + MedSpa we will explore the underlying cause of your excess breast tissue and remedy the problem. For patients with excess glandular tissue, an inconspicuous incision is made through which the tissue is surgically removed. Liposuction may also be used to remove any fat in the area. In cases where the excess tissue is primarily fatty tissue, liposuction can often remove any excess fat with impressive results. The result is a flatter, more masculine chest appearance.
- Tummy Tuck– After weight loss, it can be difficult to get your flat tummy back. A tummy tuck tightens loose skin and abdominal muscles while removing excess fat. The result is a tighter, flatter abdominal area. Men accounted for about 4% of all tummy tucks in 2016, a small overall percentage, but growing. Tummy tuck surgeries for men saw growth of 114% from 2000 to 2016.
Popular Minimally Invasive Cosmetic Treatments for Men
- Botox is the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatment for men. Our patients tell us that Botox helps them to maintain a competitive edge in challenging work environments and helps them to retain a masculine and dignified appearance throughout the aging process. We have performed many Botox treatments on men and understand the subtle differences in technique required for achieving natural looking results in both male and female patients.
- Chemical Peels: A staff and patient favorite here at Hunstad Kortesis Bharti Plastic Surgery + MedSpa, Chemical Peels are great for photo-aged skin and can help fade uneven pigmentation, smooth rough skin, and reduce fine lines. We use a special combination of medical grade acids during the treatment to gently remove dead skin. Perfect for all skin colors.
- Laser Hair Removal: For men with excessive body hair a laser hair removal treatment can be a thoughtful and an appreciated gift. We use various hair removal lasers for a practically painless way to remove hair. For men that have struggled with excess hair most of their lives, this treatment can be the gift they’ve always wanted, but never thought to ask for.
- CoolSculpting: the CoolSculpting® procedure is a revolutionary non-invasive treatment option that reduces fat non-invasively. It is perfect for those that are within 10-15 pounds of their ideal body weight and can even reduce unwanted fat in those that are very physically fit. With no needles and no incisions the treatment freezes away fat and lets your body naturally remove it. The result is a more sculpted body without the pain and recovery of liposuction.
Plastic surgery is certainly more popular with women than with men, but we believe that this dynamic is changing. In our practice, we’ve seen the number of male patients we see exponentially increase since our practice first opened more than 22 years ago.
Statistics across the U.S. agree that men are receiving more cosmetic treatments. Men received approximately 214,000 cosmetic surgical procedures in 2016, the most recent year that statistics are available. This was about 13% of all cosmetic surgical procedures received. They received more than 1.1 million minimally invasive cosmetic treatments.
Male or female, we just want our patients to look and feel their best. Come into H/K/B and discover solutions to your biggest aesthetic concerns.
Call us at 704-659-9000 for a consultation or schedule a consultation here.