Many women are perfectly happy with the shape and size of their breasts. Others, meanwhile, wish they could make some enhancements. The good news is that it’s more than possible to enhance the physical appearance of your breasts, whether by adding volume, reducing volume, or modifying the placement of the nipple. In other words, those who wish to change the appearance of their breasts have plenty of options.
As you consider your aesthetic needs and goals, one of the first steps should be reviewing the different types of breast augmentation surgery, arriving at the option that best fits your needs.
Here at H/K/B Cosmetic Surgery, we are more than happy to sit down with you and talk at length about the different types of breast augmentation surgery, helping you to make an informed decision. In the meantime, we’ll offer a general overview.
Exploring Your Options for Breast Surgery:
There are a few primary types of breast surgery for us to explore, starting with breast reduction.
Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction surgery is an option for women who feel as though their breasts are a bit too large or heavy, and who wish to remove some of that volume. At HKB Cosmetic Surgery, we generally recommend breast reduction for women in any of the following scenarios:
- Women who experience pain in their back or neck due to the size or weight of their breasts.
- Women whose breast size makes it difficult for them to find clothing that fits properly, or whose bras dig into their shoulders and cause grooves in the skin.
- Women who experience rashes or other skin irritations under their breasts.
And of course, some women simply don’t like the size of their breasts; that’s a perfectly fine reason to pursue a breast reduction procedure.
Breast Augmentation Surgery
When we talk about breast augmentation, we’re talking about the use of breast implants to increase breast volume; you might say, then, that it’s the opposite of breast reduction. This is for women who wish their breasts were a bit larger, and in particular, we recommend it to women in one of the following categories:
- Women who have lost breast shape due to significant fluctuation in their weight.
- Moms who have lost breast shape due to maternity/breastfeeding, and who think they are done with having kids.
- Women who are simply dissatisfied with the size of their breasts.
There are different types of implants available to give slightly different feels and textures; we’re happy to talk with you about these options at any time.
Breast Lift Surgery
The third type of breast surgery that we offer at HKB Cosmetic Surgery is the breast lift, which doesn’t have anything to do with volume. This is the procedure we recommend for women who want to change the shape of their breasts. Specifically, a breast lift involves moving the nipple upwards from a downward facing position, creating a “perkier” appearance. This is the option we recommend to women who fear their breasts are saggy or “droopy.”
Note that some women are perfectly content with the size of their breasts, and just want to change the shape; to these women, we’re happy to offer a breast lift procedure all on its own. But for those who wish to modify both breast size and shape, a breast lift can be paired with either a breast reduction or breast implants.
What About Asymmetrical Breast Surgery?
Breast reduction, breast augmentation, and breast lifts provide various ways for women to address dissatisfaction with the size and shape of their breasts. But we also see patients who have a very different problem, namely, a problem with their breasts being asymmetrical, where one is a different shape or size than the other.
There are different ways in which asymmetry can be addressed. For example, if the asymmetry is purely a matter of nipple placement, a breast lift may be all that’s needed. Or, if there is a variation in breast size, it’s possible that either an implant or a breast reduction or augmentation can help. Sometimes, patients may need a combination of procedures at once to achieve their desired goals.
If you have any specific questions about addressing an asymmetry in your breasts, reach out to the HKB Cosmetic Surgery team at any time.
How to Choose the Right Breast Surgery
Of course, different women come to us with different needs and goals, and it’s important to ensure you’re making an informed decision about the type of breast surgery you pursue. We can offer a few basic tips and guidelines.
- The first thing we’d recommend is that you ensure you are a safe candidate for surgery. If you’re someone who has medical complications or are taking pharmaceuticals that could impede your recovery from surgery, that’s something we’d want to talk about. When you visit us for a consultation, our top breast cosmetic surgeons will qualify you for a safe and healthy procedure.
- It’s also important to think about the stage of life you’re in. If you still think you might have a baby, or if you’re experiencing significant fluctuations in your weight, it may be wise to hold off on breast surgery until a later date.
- Something else that’s important is making sure you have clear expectations, and that your surgeon understands the goals you’ve set. That’s something we can assist with during the consultation, even providing advanced imaging with Vectra 3D analysis to help you envision what your new breasts will look like.
- During the consultation, be sure you ask any questions you have about the procedure itself, but also about the recovery. We’ll advise you on how best to let your body rest and restore itself.
Learn More About the Types of Breast Augmentation Surgery
The bottom line for women who are unsatisfied with their breasts: you have plenty of options. There are multiple types of breast augmentation surgery that we can offer right here at H/K/B Cosmetic Surgery, and the first step is meeting together to discuss your needs and goals.
To set up a consultation with one of our surgeons, simply reach out to our Huntersville or SouthPark offices at your next opportunity.