This appointment includes comprehensive bloodwork, painting a more complete picture of your current state of health and fitness than what is typically seen with your routine physical. Dr. Edwards will look for early indicators of disease and set you and your body on a course for improved health and greater quality of life.
VO2 Max Tests
VO2 max is the measurement of the maximum amount of oxygen that it individual can utilize during intense or maximum exercise. It is frequently measured as milliliters of oxygen used in one minute per kilogram of body weight. The name is derived from the V for volume, O2 for oxygen, and max for maximum.
VO2 Max reflects the cardiorespiratory fitness of an individual. VO2 Max is widely used as an indicator of health. The American Heart Association in 2016 published a scientific statement recommending that VO2 max regularly be assessed and used as a clinical vital signs. This statement is based on evidence that shows lower fitness levels are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease, all cause mortality, and mortality from various cancers. The American Heart Association recommends measuring your VO2 max and using this information for exercise prescriptions.
VO2 Max Fee: $150.00
What to Expect During the VO2 Test:
- You will put on a heartrate strap and a mask which is connected to the CardioCoachCO2 device via the VO2 hose.
- The test is administered on a stationary bike.
- Gradually, intensity is increased over a period of 6 to 20 minutes until you determine your max effort has been reached (VO2max), or until the CardioCoachCO2 indicates that your anaerobic threshold (AT) has been detected.
- At this point, you stop exercising and begin a cool down phase.
A DEXA (Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry) scan is used for a number of applications. It is the most accurate measure of body fat percentage available. In addition to total body fat, the scan provides a diagnostic measurement of lean muscle mass, visceral fat and bone density. This is the only method of measurement available that provides values for individual regions, including arms, legs, and trunk.
DEXA Fee: $295.00
What to Expect During the DEXA Scan:
- During the scan you will lie on your back on a comfortable, padded table for several minutes.
- A scanner arm above you will slowly pass over your body, generating images on a computer monitor.
- The scan is simple, noninvasive and take approximately 12 minutes
DEXA + VO2+ RMR Fee: $495.00