Tummy tucks are one of our most popular body contouring procedures. Men and women across the U.S. turn to this procedure when they want to restore a tighter, flatter abdomen. Last year nearly 130,000 tummy tucks were performed in the U.S. Why is the tummy tuck so popular? Is this transformative procedure right for you?
What Happens During a Tummy Tuck?
The tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure that shapes and restores the abdomen. It is especially popular after pregnancy and weight loss, as these often cause abdominal changes. A tummy tuck can be performed on its own or paired with other procedures like liposuction or breast augmentation. It is a popular addition to our mommy makeover.
During a tummy tuck a long incision is made, generally extending from hip to hip. This incision is low, often below the bikini line. Liposuction is performed throughout the entire abdomen, hip, and pubic area to remove excess fatty tissue. The muscles are repositioned to restore a tight, flat abdomen. If any separation has occurred (diastasis recti), it will be repaired by our expert surgeons. Excess skin is removed from just above the belly button down to the pubic area. Many stretch marks are removed along with the skin. Finally, the belly button is repositioned and the incisions are closed.
We offer many types of tummy tucks including drain-free abdominoplasty, mesh abdominoplasty, and traditional abdominoplasty. We’ll help you choose the best procedure for your goals.
The Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
Why is the tummy tuck such a popular procedure? The many benefits appeal to both men and women. Here are a few of our favorite tummy tuck benefits.
- Restore a Tight, Flat Abdomen– If you have loose skin or separated abdominal muscles, exercise won’t be enough to restore a tight, flat abdomen. A tummy tuck repairs damage that you can’t correct on your own. Do what you can through diet and exercise and if you don’t see the desired results, a tummy tuck can do the rest.
- Remove Stretch Marks- Many of our patients notice a dramatic reduction in the number of stretch marks present on their stomach after tummy tuck surgery. If you still have stretch marks after your tummy tuck, we can treat them using the ICON laser.
- Repair Muscle Damage- Many women experience abdominal muscle separation after pregnancy. A tummy tuck can repair the damaged muscles and provide additional abdominal support.
- Improve Posture- A lesser known benefit to the tummy tuck is improved posture. By repairing and strengthening the abdominal muscles, we can improve core strength, giving you an increased ability to support better posture.
- Reduce Back Pain and Incontinence- A recent study found that the tummy tuck may be able to reduce back pain and incontinence. This procedure offers more than just cosmetic benefits.
- Shrink Waistline- Pregnancy and weight gain can increase the size of your waistline. Get your figure back with a tummy tuck!
- Restore the Body After Pregnancy and Childbirth– We almost always include tummy tuck surgery in our mommy makeovers. The reason is simple, a tummy tuck is one of the best ways to get your body back after baby. This procedure corrects the abdominal changes you experience during pregnancy and childbirth and the tummy tuck pairs beautifully with other complementary procedures, like breast augmentation, for a full body restoration.
Is a Tummy Tuck Right for Me?
Is a tummy tuck right for you? Call our offices to schedule a consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons. Performing more than 1,000 procedures each year and offering two locations to serve you, H/K/B is one of the top plastic surgery practices in the Charlotte and Huntersville, NC areas. A consultation is one of the best ways to determine if tummy tuck surgery will meet your goals or if another procedure is a better fit. We’ll perform a detailed examination, discuss your goals for surgery, answer questions, and explain cost and financing options. Call 704-659-9000 to book your consultation.
A tummy tuck is a good fit for many women after pregnancy and for both men and women after weight loss. The best candidates are in good overall health. We recommend that you wait to schedule your tummy tuck until you are finished bearing children and at a stable, consistent weight.
Are you ready to learn more about the tummy tuck? See for yourself why this procedure is such a popular choice in the United States and around the world.